Thursday, November 5, 2009

Records

I remember a time when a band would start, work hard and dream of getting a record deal. I remember being in 2 bands that were very promising. Both of these bands had our own special sound. One was back in the mid 80's before I went into the Army. Great group of guys all talented all combining several different musical tastes and styles into a really sharp unique sound. We played out alot and got really good. We even got a record deal...and then...the band fell apart. The second band was when I had gone back to college. We were really good. Our style was defined as "Rocking Cow Punk with undertones of Blues". This time we went further, we played everywhere...we had a huge following and we recorded an album...then...the band fell apart. Our lead singer got "God" and left. No hard feelings...understand..too cool...we found a new singer..no go. We lost the dynamic of our guy. Today's musicians are so lucky. They no longer have to deal with trying to get a record deal. With a minimum investment of a few thousand dollars you can buy a multitrack digital studio. This studio will have effects and capabilities that rival the big studios of Nashville, NY and LA. With a little studying of the gear some hard work and some good songs today's musicians can make a record without the problems of the past...the record labels.  I am one of those guys now who has a full service studio. I am so lucky because anytime I feel the urge to record, I just go down stairs into my studio, turnon the recording light and create my music. What a wonderful world we live in.
E

No comments:

Post a Comment